Walnut Grove Church
What we believe:
A. THE SCRIPTURES: We believe that every work of the scriptures is inspired by the Holy Spirit through the writers of the Old and New Testament original Hebrew & Greek text (l Cor. 2:13; ll Tim. 3:16-17; ll Peter 1:20-21).
B. THE GODHEAD: We believe that there is one God, eternally self-existent and showing
Himself to us in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (ll Cor. 13:14; Matt. 28:19; Mark 1:9-11).
C. MAN’S CREATION AND SALVATION: We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God; but, through Adam’s sin, we are all sinners and separated from God. God provides salvation as a free gift to all men, but only those who receive Christ by faith are saved. Salvation is the work of the Holy Spirit, taking the Word of God and applying it to the heart of a person when he/she is born again. (Gen. 1:25-27; Rom. 3:22-24; Eph. 2:8-10; John 3:1-21).
D. THE PERSON OF CHRIST: We believe:
1. In the Deity of Christ (John 1:12-14; Col. 2:9)
2. In His virgin birth (Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:22-23; Luke 1:35-35)
3. In His shed blood as necessary for redemption of sin (Eph. 2:11-13; Col. 1:14; Heb. 9:22, 10:19)
4. In His bodily resurrection (l Cor. 15:1-8, 20-21)
5. In His ascension to heaven; and present intercession for the saints (Acts 1:7-11; Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25).
6. In His coming for the church (l Thess. 4:13-18; 1 Cor. 15:51-52).
7. In His personal return to establish His kingdom on earth (Rev. 19, 20, 21)
E. THE HOLY SPIRIT: We believe that the Holy Spirit, who is the third person of the Godhead, dwells in the life of every believer in Christ, baptizing them into the body of Christ and sealing them unto the day of redemption. Every believer is instructed of God to be filled with the Spirit and to walk after the Spirit. Rom. 8:9-11; Gal. 5:25; Eph. 5:18; Eph. 1:13-14. We believe in the operation of spiritual gifts as outlined in l Cor. 12, 13, and 14.
F. THE CHURCH: We believe in the universal church which includes all believers in Christ during his church age (Eph. 1:22-23). We believe that the local church is a group of baptized believers in Christ who choose to become members by accepting the church covenant.
G. CHURCH ORDINANCES:
1. Baptism: We believe in water baptism by immersion, which signifies the death of the old life and resurrection to the new life in Christ. (Rom. 6:4)
2. The Lord’s Supper: We believe in the observance of the Lord’s Supper as a remembrance of the death, burial, resurrection, and coming of the Lord. We use unleavened bread (symbolic of our Lord’s broken body) and unfermented juice of the vine (symbolic of our Lord’s shed blood) (1 Cor. 11:23-26; Matt. 26:26-29)